Linda Bloomfield: Two Day Glaze Material & Making Workshop
August 12 @ 10:00 am - August 13 @ 4:00 pmFree – £200.00
This workshop is the sought after two day glaze workshop by Linda Bloomfield. There are two elements of this workshop: (i) glaze materials lecture and (ii) practical glaze making and discussion. On day 1, Linda will demonstrate glaze making, after which you will be mixing your chosen glazes and then glazing your test tiles. At the end of day 1, your test tiles will be fired. On day 2, we will start with a talk on glaze materials. The kiln will be opened during lunch and we will be discussing the results in the afternoon.
There is a limit of 12 attendees only so early booking is essential.
Please read carefully the materials you will need to bring for this workshop.
|12th & 13th August 2023
10:00am – 4:00pm UK
|Venue:||Cernamic Studios, 36a Windus Road, N16 6UP|
£220 Non Members*
|Booking Closes:||30th July 2023|
|Cancellations:||There will be no refund for attendee cancellations|
|If we do not reach 12 attendees, the course will be cancelled and fully refunded|
*Tickets will be available for non members after a period of exclusivity for London Potters members.
MATERIALS YOU NEED TO BRING
You will need to bring the following:
- 20 stoneware bisqued test tiles – preference is for tiles that are ‘vertical’ to minimise kiln shelf space requirement
- The firing will be to 1240 Celsius
- Dust mask
- Digital scale accurate to 0.1g
- Standard 80 mesh sieve. Ideally, the sieve should be slightly smaller diameter than the container so that it fits on top
- 15 cups – plastic cups that your tiles can dip into
- 15 small plastic containers with lids if you want to take remaining glazes home. Good containers to use are the hummus or other dips containers from supermarkets
- Plastic spoons, rubber spatula
- Note book
- Pen/pencil to take notes
- Plastic Gloves (optional)
- Lunch and drinks
LONDON POTTERS WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING RAW MATERIALS
- Soda feldspar
- Potash feldspar
- China clay
- Talc or dolomite
- Zinc oxide
- Borax frit
- Nepheline syenite
- Barium or strontium carbonate
- Bone ash
- Lithium carbonate
- Tin oxide
- Titanium dioxide
- Zirconium silicate
If you know that you wish to make glazes from a recipe that require materials not listed above, please ensure you bring them to the workshop. Some materials may also be available to purchase from Cernamic Studio however minimum quantities may apply.
Image: Taken by Janet White of LP member Anne Zieler at the 2022 course.